Jump To Navigation
Motorcycle Accidents

Frequently Asked Questions About Motorcycle Accidents

Q: I was hit by another vehicle while riding my motorcycle. What should I do?

A: First and most importantly, seek medical attention if you were injured in any way, even if you are not in pain because it is possible you many not feel pain until a day or two after the accident. If there were witnesses to the accident, get their names and contact information. In addition, take photographs of the accident scene, your injuries and any damage to your motorcycle or other property. Finally, contact an attorney who has experience with personal injury cases, specifically motorcycle accident cases, to discuss your legal options for recovery.

Q: What can I receive for my injuries?

A: Every case is different. The exact type and amount of compensation you might receive depend on your individual situation. As a general rule, you are entitled to recover for any of the following expenses: medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, future medical expenses, probable loss of wages in the future, property damage, loss of relationship with your spouse and other out-of-pocket expenses due to your injuries.

Q: Is compensation automatic?

A: The types of compensation listed above are not automatically awarded in every case. It is up to you to prove what expenses you have incurred, or will incur in the future, and how much those expenses were or will be.

Q: How long will my case take?

A: The length of time a case takes depends on a number of factors. A complex case, with several different parties, all with different claims, can take longer to resolve than a relatively simple case, involving one injured party and one party who caused the injury. Many straightforward cases are resolved in four to eight months. It is possible, but unusual for a case to take much more than one and a half years to resolve.

Q: I was not wearing a helmet when I was in a motorcycle accident. Does that make a difference?

A: You may bring an action for your injuries even if you were not wearing a helmet, but not wearing a helmet may make a difference in the amount of damages you receive. If not wearing a helmet did not cause or aggravate your injuries (for example, if you were hurt in your legs and wearing a helmet would not have made any difference in your injuries), it probably will not make a difference. Your attorney will discuss your specific situation with you.

Q: What is comparative negligence?

A: Under the doctrine of comparative negligence, a party who is partially at fault for his or her own injuries can still recover for those injuries from another party whose negligence also contributed to the injuries. Basically, the fault of every party involved is compared. The amount of compensation awarded to an injured person will be reduced by his or her share, or percentage, of the total fault.

Q: I was hurt in an accident last week and the other driver's insurance company has offered to pay me some money. Should I accept it?

A: No. If you accept the check, you may be releasing the other driver from all liability for the accident. You may have to sign a release to get the promised money, or the back of the check you receive may have a notation on it that your endorsement of the check means that you release the other driver from any past, present or future liability for your injuries. The problem with a quick settlement, such as the one you have been offered here, is that it may take weeks or even months before you know the full extent of your injuries. Perhaps you have been out of work since the accident; do you know for sure when you will be working again? Do you know how much your medical bills will be? Odds are good that there are too many unknowns to make it a good idea to settle your case now. You would do best to consult with an attorney who has experience handling motorcycle injury cases before you sign anything.

Q: Do you need a special license to drive a motorcycle?

A: Yes. All 50 states and Washington, D.C. have laws that require motorcyclists to pass a written knowledge test to obtain a license to operate a motorcycle on public roads. The tests and other licensing procedures vary from state to state.

Q: What is the most dangerous type of motorcycle?

A: Historically motorcyclists who drive supersport cycles have the highest driver death rates. Supersport motorcycles are consumer versions of racing motorcycles with lower weight, increased power, fast acceleration and the ability to reach high speeds.

Copyright © 2012 FindLaw, a Thomson Reuters business

DISCLAIMER: This site and any information contained herein are intended for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice. Seek competent legal counsel for advice on any legal matter.

Return to Main

New Immediate Representation | Tired of Insurance Hassles | We'll represent you right now | Click Here | Call Now Toll Free 1-800-300-8561

- Free Advice!
- Free Consultations!
- No Out of Pocket Fees!
- Contingency Fees!
- We Get Paid Only if We Win Your Case!

Contact Us

Never a fee to speak with an Injury Law Center attorney

Injury Law Center | For Over 25 Years

What Our Clients Say

Client Testimonial:

"I am impressed the way your firm took care of me, and I am pleased with results. "

KW, Satisfied Client, San Jose, California

"Great Settlement, Thank You."
R.H. - Milpitas, CA

"Mr. Bloxham treated me honestly and fairly - Thanks!"
A.T. - Pittsburg, CA

"I was disappointed in a previous attorney. Thanks for handling my sister's case - I appreciate the care that you took with her."
P.O. - Concord, CA

"Good Job, Thank You."
T.E. - Brentwood, CA

"Thanks for fighting for me, Mr. Bloxham. I appreciate your efforts."
B.K. - Concord, CA

"With my serious injuries, I appreciate that you were able to come to my home and get my case started right away - Thanks."
T.K - Walnut Creek, CA

BBB | Better Business Bureau | www.bbb.org

Click here to see our A+ Rating

Injury Law Center Law Offices of Jack Bloxham
  • Injury Law Center - Walnut Creek
    Law Offices of Jack Bloxham
    2099 Mt. Diablo Blvd., Suite 201
    Walnut Creek, CA 94596

    Walnut Creek Law Office

  • Injury Law Center - San Jose
    Law Offices of Jack Bloxham
    2570 N. First Street
    Second Floor
    San Jose, CA 95131

    San Jose, CA Law Office

  • Injury Law Center - Fremont-Hayward
    Law Offices of Jack Bloxham
    34716 Alvarado-Niles Road
    Union City, CA 94587

    Union City Law Office

  • Injury Law Center - Oakland
    Law Offices of Jack Bloxham
    166 Santa Clara Ave
    Oakland, CA 94610

    Oakland Law Office

Disclosure: Photos may not depict cars, places or situations related to clients or cases. Other photos may not depict attorneys or clients of the firm. The photos are intended only as dramatizations. Testimonials or endorsements, or statements regarding the outcome of a case should not be construed as a guarantee or warrantee or prediction regarding the result or outcome of your or anyone’s legal matter. Each case has its own unique facts, and the outcome of each case will differ.

San Jose personal injury attorney Jack Bloxham represents clients in negligence and wrongful death litigation related to motor vehicle accidents of all kinds in the Greater Bay Area of Northern California, including Alameda County, Contra Costa County, Santa Clara County, Solano County, San Jose, Walnut Creek, Union City, Oakland, San Francisco, Fremont, Hayward, Pittsburg, Richmond, Dublin, Concord, Fairfield, Benicia, Vallejo, Los Gatos, Napa, Pleasanton, Livermore, Antioch, Santa Cruz, and San Mateo.