Jump To Navigation
Dangerous Highways

Frequently Asked Questions about Dangerous Highways

Q: What should I do after a highway accident?

A: First, you should move your vehicle to a safe location near the scene, if possible. Determine any injuries that you or other car occupants have. Get critical information from the other driver like his or her name, phone number, address and insurance information. Call police and, if necessary, an ambulance. If you have a camera, take pictures of the scene. Contact your insurance agent to notify them of the accident. You may want to contact an attorney.

Q: When should I file a lawsuit after a highway accident?

A: Every state has statutes of limitations — these statutes create mandatory deadlines for personal injury lawsuits and other types of suits. Additionally, other deadlines may apply if your case involves claims against state or federal government units or agencies. You should talk with a lawyer as soon as possible after your accident to determine the deadlines that apply.

Q: Where should I file my lawsuit if I was in an accident on a trip?

A: If you do not reside in the state where the accident occurred and you want to file a lawsuit for injury or property damages, you may want to consult an attorney in your home state or the state where the accident occurred for advice on where the lawsuit should be filed. Unfortunately, if you do not reside in the same state where the collision occurred, your case may be more complicated than other personal injury lawsuits.

Q: Can I sue if my family member died in a highway accident?

A: A person injured in an accident may make a claim for injuries and property damages. In the unfortunate event that the injured person dies in the accident or from the injuries before he or she can make a claim, then the deceased's heirs may sue the responsible party through a wrongful death action. Even if a person with a personal injury claim dies from unrelated causes, the personal injury claim survives.

Q: What if I do not have the money to pay an attorney to handle my highway accident claim?

A: In many states, attorneys can charge a contingent fee on certain types of cases, including personal injury lawsuits. A contingent fee (or contingency) means that the attorney will not charge you for representation, but will instead take a part of any money award that you receive. The fee is typically around one third of the award, but attorneys may differ on the contingent fee they charge. You may still be responsible for certain court costs and expenses.

Q: What steps can I take to reduce my risk of injury or death while driving?

A: Simple steps can greatly lower your risk of death and severe injury. First, you and your car's occupants should wear seat belts, and smaller children should sit in safety seats. Do not drink and drive. Drive at the speed limit or lower; most vehicle compartments cannot adequately protect occupants during high-speed crashes. Pay complete attention to the road and other drivers while driving.

Q: Are hands-free devices a safer alternative to cell phones when driving?

A: Hands-free cell phones are not necessarily safer than cell phones with handsets. A study by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety compared Australian and Canadian phone records with police reports and found that cell phone use near the time of an accident increased the likelihood of an accident. Furthermore, no real difference in risk was found between handless and handset cell phones. It is probably best not to use a cell phone while driving.

Q: Do rumble strips damage my vehicle's tires?

A: Rumble strips do not damage vehicle tires. Rumble strips, which vary in width and construction depending on the state, are placed on the edge of a travel lane. Rumble strips create a humming noise caused when tires run over small repeated depressions. They provide a safe and effective method to alert inattentive or drowsy drivers that their vehicles have veered out of the lane. Rumble strips can also assist drivers in bad weather.

Q: What are the no-zones for semi trucks?

A: Semi trucks have no-zones, which could include space behind the trailer to allow adequate time for stopping, space on the sides of the trailer in case the trailer changes lanes, and space in the front of the semi to allow for safe passing. Semis also need space to make right-hand turns, so drivers should allow space on the right side of trucks.

Copyright © 2012 FindLaw, a Thomson Reuters business

DISCLAIMER: This site and any information contained herein are intended for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice. Seek competent legal counsel for advice on any legal matter.

Return to Main

New Immediate Representation | Tired of Insurance Hassles | We'll represent you right now | Click Here | Call Now Toll Free 1-800-300-8561

- Free Advice!
- Free Consultations!
- No Out of Pocket Fees!
- Contingency Fees!
- We Get Paid Only if We Win Your Case!

Contact Us

NOTE: Labels in bold are required.

Contact Information

  2. disclaimer

What Our Clients Say

Client Testimonial:

"I am impressed the way your firm took care of me, and I am pleased with results. "

KW, Satisfied Client, San Jose, California

"Great Settlement, Thank You."
R.H. - Milpitas, CA

"Mr. Bloxham treated me honestly and fairly - Thanks!"
A.T. - Pittsburg, CA

"I was disappointed in a previous attorney. Thanks for handling my sister's case - I appreciate the care that you took with her."
P.O. - Concord, CA

"Good Job, Thank You."
T.E. - Brentwood, CA

"Thanks for fighting for me, Mr. Bloxham. I appreciate your efforts."
B.K. - Concord, CA

"With my serious injuries, I appreciate that you were able to come to my home and get my case started right away - Thanks."
T.K - Walnut Creek, CA

BBB | Better Business Bureau | www.bbb.org

Click here to see our A+ Rating

Injury Law Center Law Offices of Jack Bloxham
  • Injury Law Center - Walnut Creek
    Law Offices of Jack Bloxham
    2099 Mt. Diablo Blvd., Suite 201
    Walnut Creek, CA 94596

    Walnut Creek Law Office

  • Injury Law Center - San Jose
    Law Offices of Jack Bloxham
    2570 N. First Street
    Second Floor
    San Jose, CA 95131

    San Jose, CA Law Office

  • Injury Law Center - Fremont-Hayward
    Law Offices of Jack Bloxham
    34716 Alvarado-Niles Road
    Union City, CA 94587

    Union City Law Office

  • Injury Law Center - Oakland
    Law Offices of Jack Bloxham
    166 Santa Clara Ave
    Oakland, CA 94610

    Oakland Law Office

Disclosure: Photos may not depict cars, places or situations related to clients or cases. Other photos may not depict attorneys or clients of the firm. The photos are intended only as dramatizations. Testimonials or endorsements, or statements regarding the outcome of a case should not be construed as a guarantee or warrantee or prediction regarding the result or outcome of your or anyone’s legal matter. Each case has its own unique facts, and the outcome of each case will differ.

San Jose personal injury attorney Jack Bloxham represents clients in negligence and wrongful death litigation related to motor vehicle accidents of all kinds in the Greater Bay Area of Northern California, including Alameda County, Contra Costa County, Santa Clara County, Solano County, San Jose, Walnut Creek, Union City, Oakland, San Francisco, Fremont, Hayward, Pittsburg, Richmond, Dublin, Concord, Fairfield, Benicia, Vallejo, Los Gatos, Napa, Pleasanton, Livermore, Antioch, Santa Cruz, and San Mateo.